Postgraduate Diploma in Digital Design
TU Dublin Blanchardstown Campus
This is a blended day-time programme that combines in-person and online classes throughout the academic year.
Future-Proof Your Career With Digital Design Skills
Boost your digital design career with our Postgraduate Diploma in Digital Design. Ideal for beginners or current designers, this program covers essential skills from UX to design leadership. No matter your background, enhance your career potential and transform into a digital design leader ready for tomorrow’s challenges!
Our Postgraduate Diploma in Digital Design is fully funded for eligible unemployed people and those returning to education. If you’re a recent graduate or currently employed, the program is 90% funded. This funding comes from Human Capital Initiative Pillar 1 programs. Find out more about eligibility and fees.
What Will I Study?
This 60 ECTS credit blended program mixes in-person and online classes, limited to two days a week for a work-study balance. From September to June, expect three 10 ECTS modules per semester. This is a blended day-time programme in which students will be expected to be present for a mixture of face-to-face and online classes over the academic year.
Select a module to find out more:
Gain the expertise to thrive as a dynamic design leader, setting design vision and encouraging innovation through design. In the Design Leadership you will learn strategies and skills needed for creative teamwork, building high-performing design teams, operationalising design processes, and scaling design functions. Topics include:
- Introduction to Design Leadership
- Developing Design Teams
- Strategic Design Management
- Scaling Design & Design Ops
- Measuring & Communicating Design Impact
- Ethical Considerations in Design
Learn how to use design research methodologies to understand the needs, objectives, and behaviours of customers and stakeholder groups. Learn how to conduct impactful research studies and use insights to inform the development of successful digital products, and services. Topics include:
- Introduction to Design Research and Research Methods
- Planning Design Research Studies
- Analysis and Modelling Techniques
- Ethics in Practice
- Strategic, Qualitative and Quantitative Design Research Methods
- Documentation, Communication and Presentation of Insights and Findings
Unlock the power of Design Thinking, a collaborative approach to crafting human-centered solutions for business, civic and environmental challenges. Learn the tools to apply human-centered design practices across disciplines and domains. Topics include:
- Introduction to Design Thinking
- Cultivating Empathy Through Human-Centered Research
- Problem Definition and Ideation Techniques
- Prototyping and Evaluation Techniques
- Collaboration and Facilitation
- Pitching and Effective Presentations
Gain a grounding in core interaction principles, usability, universal design, and accessibility standards. From building user interfaces to exploring advanced topics like design systems, gain the skills to design interactive experiences for today’s and tomorrow’s technology. Topics include:
- Interaction Design Principles
- Accessibility, Usability and Universal Design
- Anatomy of Interactions
- Wireframing and Interactive Prototyping
- Design for Immersive Media and Emerging Technologies
User Experience Design
Understand crucial principles of User Experience (UX) and learn how to apply a toolkit of methods and techniques that align product solutions with user needs and business goals. From initial user research to the final implementation, follow the UX design process to develop successful digital products and services. Topics include:
- Intro to UX Design
- Ethical and Inclusive Design Practices
- UX Research
- Solution Design and Prototyping
- Evaluation Techniques
- Communicating The Impact and Value of UX
Visual Design Fundamentals
Grasp of key design fundamentals from design principles to visual storytelling. Cultivate a process-driven approach, enabling ideation, evaluation, and execution of design concepts. Develop the confidence to tackle design challenges, critically analyse design choices, and communicate design solutions. Topics include:
- Introduction to Visual Design
- Developing a Visual Design Process
- Elements and Principles of Graphic Design
- Working With Digital & Design Assets
- Image Editing Software Basics
- Communicating Design Solutions
Why Digital Design?
As technology reshapes our world, digital design skills are more crucial than ever. Our graduates:
- Master design tools and theories.
- Prioritize human-centered Universal Design.
- Innovate for diverse challenges.
- Dive deep into research and insights.
- Collaborate and lead in team settings.
- Commit to ethical, inclusive, and sustainable design.
Dive into Digital Design with our Postgraduate Diploma, even without a design background. Ideal candidates are tech-savvy, design-curious, and open to innovation. Admission Requirements:
- NFQ Level 8 undergrad degree (2.2 or higher) OR NFQ Level 7 with significant experience.
- Submit a 3-5 slide PDF (under 20MB) highlighting your experience, skills, creativity, and motivation.
- Non-native English speakers: IELTS 7 overall (min. 6 in each component) or equivalent.
Developed with industry, the programme integrates a seminar series across two academic semesters which brings professional expertise directly into the classroom.
We also welcome industry or civic partners to submit design challenges or live projects. Give students the unique opportunity to tackle real-world problems, develop critical skills, and make a meaningful impact in your industry. In return, benefit from fresh perspectives, innovative solutions, and a chance to scout exceptional talent.